Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The 4th.

A few weeks ago Clark and I decided to go eco chic and buy some bikes! We are loving riding around town on them, doing all our errands via 2 wheels. On the 4th we seriously rode our bikes from dawn until dusk. Right when Beck woke up we put him in his bike seat, gave him a waffle and headed on down to Balboa for breakfast.

Do you see all those people on the sidewalks? That is the line for the ferry to go over to Balboa. We definately waited in it too~ They close off the island and the ferry is the only way on.

An hour later... Beck loved the boat ride! And a nice guy gave him a red balloon (balloons are his newest obsession.)

Loving the American spirit.


We ate breakfast at Charlie's Chili on the boardwalk. Its a bit of a dive, but I'm obsessed with their french toast.

Riding around Balboa.

Taking the Back Bay route home.

After Beck's nap we did some barbeque hopping at friend's and families houses, and then jumped on the bikes again to catch some fireworks. My entire family rode from my aunt's house down to the beach. They close off PCH on the 4th so its really fun to ride in the middle of the street with hundreds of other bike riders.

Love this picture of Beck... the first firework scared him just a bit. But he loved them once he was used to the noise.

After the festivites we came home, Beck and I went to bed, and Clark played Settlers with my brother and cousins. It was daylight when he finally rolled into bed.

Not a bad 4th huh?

9 comments:

Shandra and Christian said...

Settlers?? We love that game! You would probably get destroyed if you played us though.

Looked like such a fun 4th!

Kat said...

I adore the shot of your boy with the red balloon. . . how precious is that look on his face??? And I love how the balloon then is peeking into shots later on.

I love your bike, too! Living here in Japan, I ride a bike every day too, and I've fallen so in love with it that I am for sure going to keep it as my main mode of transport!

Looks like such a great 4th!

Maria said...

OH MY GOSH! Beck is sooo grown up! How come it doesn't look like your kid got the Rylander hyperactivity gene? I don't think I could ever get Abby to sit still to watch fireworks if she wasn't strapped in. We miss you guys. You stil better be coming after Christmas!

Jenny said...

beck has so much hair! he is adorable. your 4th definitely looked so fun and i love the bikes!

katherinejewel said...

Ha! We did almost the exact same bike ride last year on the 4th!! except we couldn't wait in the line on Balboa so we rode all the way to the pennisula... I love the video of Beck screaming at the tv when they fall..lol so funny

Cal said...

I saw your cameo on steph's blog. Ha :) I am going to add your blog to my newly formed "list" so I can get the goods :) Feel free to "check it out this" on my blog :) www.callieandgrant.blogspot.com PS. I love Beck's face with the fireworks.

Tylershark said...

Your 4th sounds like it was fun. I wish we could have been there. I miss summers on the beach.

Your family continues to be adorable. Great pictures!

Andrew and Marti Enke said...

I LOVE the pic of Kim on the bike! So hot! And you remind me of my mother! I am not sure why, you and she are just similar-it makes me SO happy. I love you and miss you. send me a new recipe when you get a minute.

Your Mart

julie said...

ok, so i am super tired & thought you wrote "it was a delight when he finally rolled into bed" ha! i was thinking "wow, nat, thanks for sharing that personal tidbit... " anyway, we miss you guys. got clarks comment today... so when are you coming over, huh? looks like you guys had a great 4th. sadie & were in bed before the fireworks... it just wasn't worth the trouble to me without russ around. keep up with some posting... makes me feel like i'm still in the loop! xo